We recognise that first experiences of school can have a lasting effect upon children and so we aim to make the transition from home to school as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
To achieve this, we aim to build links with the family by:
- Encouraging parents to bring pre-schoolers to school events – sports day, fairs, productions etc.
- Sending out a letter to parents once their child has been offered a place, requesting various important bits of information.
- Holding a new parents’ meeting before the children start school, to explain about the school in more detail and for parents to meet their child’s new teacher. Parents will be able to see their child’s new classroom and order school uniform. Various information booklets about the school are issued, including our Home/School Agreement.
- Providing induction visits in their new classroom, so that the children may further familiarise themselves with the school environment and their teacher and peers.
- Home visits or parent chats with the child’s teacher, during which we exchange important information and discuss issues relating to starting school.
- Providing part-time schooling for Reception children for the first few weeks, as a gentle introduction to regular school life.
- Providing an ‘open door policy’ throughout the children’s time at school, by encouraging parents to share any concerns or worries that they may have.
We hope that this enables children and their families to feel supported as they start their school life at Stokeinteignhead Primary School.
Other relevant webpages
Please click on the links below to view information on:
Breakfast and After School Club
ParentPay Online Payments