Staff governors are:
· well placed to understand staff views
· to remind the governing body how matters being discussed affect staff;
· in a good position to help the governing body to communicate effectively with staff;
· equal in status to all other governors.
Staff governors are not
· expected to gather the views of other staff and take them to the governing body;
· simply expected to represent the interests of staff;
· a link between staff and the governing body;
· expected to vote as instructed by other staff.
Staff governors are excluded from aspects of governance. They cannot take any part in pay decisions about staff. They cannot be chair or vice chair. They cannot be part of the head teacher performance management. They cannot make redundancy decisions